Fun Things to Do Before Summer Ends
- August 22, 2014
- Customer eNewsletter, News and Events, Timely Happenings
- Posted by Denise Caiazzo
- Leave your thoughts
Summer’s not over yet! There’s still time to get out and enjoy the fun with friends and family. Festivals, parks, sports, the beach….you name it and it’s happening somewhere in the New York Metro area. Need some inspiration? Here are 10 accessible activities to do before summer ends:
1) Blaze a Trail – Go hiking on an accessible trail, have a picnic or go camping. Take in some nature, maybe even do a bit of bird-watching. See what
New York state
has to offer.
2) Stop and Smell the Roses – Visit the stunning landscapes, collections and landmarks at the
New York Botanical Gardens
in the Bronx. There’s even jazz on Thursday nights…and floral design and Mario Batali cooking classes throughout the week.
3) Hit the Beach – Rent a
Floating Beach Wheelchair
. These amphibious rolling beach chairs take you from boardwalk to beach to water!
4) Take a Dip in the Pool – Who doesn’t love to feel weightless? Call your local YMCA or YWCA to find out about an adaptive swimming program.
5) Go Fishing – Check out these
in New York to find fishing access for anglers with disabilities.
– Wheelchair tennis can be played on any regular tennis court. It’s your serve.
7) Surfs Up – On September 21, a
Wheels2Water Paralyzed Surfers
event is taking place on Long Island.
8) Watch a Movie Under the Stars – Pack up the family and go see “The Lego Movie” under the stars on August 8th at Ridge Road Park (Hartsdale, NY), courtesy of The Miracle League of Westchester.
9) Take Me Out to the Ball Park – What says summer more than a baseball game? Yankees or Mets, it’s your call. Either way, hot dogs are a must.
Swim With Dolphins
– For something truly memorable, hop a flight to Miami and head to Key Largo or Marathon Key for a one-of-a-kind, fully accessible swim with dolphins.
More Tips: Find out what you need to know about
accessibility at summertime venues